May is skin cancer awareness month! There are over 5 million cases diagnosed in the US each year. The most common cancer in America is skin cancer. In fact, 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70. However, this is also one of the most preventable forms of cancer! Most non-melanoma and melanoma cases are associated with exposure to harmful UV radiation from the sun. Therefore, choosing the right sunscreen is SO important!! Repeated sunburns can accelerate premature aging, which leads to wrinkled skin, dark spots, and skin cancers (such as melanoma). Below are some tips to help you choose the correct sunscreen!
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. We have a wide variety of medical grade sunscreens from Skin Ceuticals and ZO at Touch MedSpa 🙂
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. It should be water resistant.
- Apply sunscreen to dry skin 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Apply sunscreen generously.
- Reapply every 1-2 hours.
- Do not use expired sunscreen!!
There are also other ways to protect your skin from the sun in the summer. These are:
- Limit sun exposure between 10 am and 4 pm when the radiation is at its peak.
- Wear protective clothing such as a sun shirt or wide-brimmed hat.
- Sit under umbrellas or in the shade.
- Wear sunglasses that have 100% UV absorption.
- Add sunscreen more frequently if you are swimming or sweating.
- Stock up on travel-sized sunscreens!
The most important rule of thumb for protecting your skin:
- Wear sunscreen DAILY. Every single day! Water, sand, even snow have reflective properties that can increase the risk of sunburn! Not only is it important to avoid rays in the peak times of the day outside, but it is also important to remember that you can be exposed to these rays inside as well. Driving in a car allows sun rays to reflect off the glass that can cause damage to the skin! Because of this, we sometimes look older on one side of our face than the other!
Daily Brightening UV Defense SPF 30. A multi-benefit daily hydrating sunscreen that protects against uv-induced pigmentation, evens skin tone, and instantly brightens skin! This product is a first of its kind corrective sunscreen containing:
- 1% TXA to minimize the reoccurrence of discoloration and brown patches
- 2% niacinamide to help reduce the appearance of discoloration
- 7% glycerin which draws and retains moisture
- 0.3% phenylethyl resorcinol to protect against discoloration and even skin tone reflective mica to instantly brighten skin
In a clinical trial study subjects saw an improvement in hydration, discoloration and brightness at 8 weeks.
- Reduces appearance of discoloration by 24%
- Brightens skin by 24%
- Immediately hydrates by 57%
Call us today at 843-249-5433 to learn more or to get your Daily Brightening UV Defense SPF 30.
Thank you for reading! Do not forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram: @Touchmedspa!