BOTOX is it right for me?
All clients will receive a consultation to determine if BOTOX is the appropriate treatment for them. BOTOX is not a filler, but an injectable that contains tiny amounts of a highly purified botulinum toxin protein refined from the bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. BOTOX targets one of the underlying causes of frown lines and crows feet from the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting over the years. If you are looking to treat these areas of the face (either as preventative or to improve any existing issues), BOTOX may be the right solution for you.
Common Questions & Concerns
Is it safe?
In short, yes. BOTOX has been used for cosmetic purposes for over 20 years, and is FDA-approved for the purpose of treating moderate to severe crow’s feet lines and frown lines. There are many off-label uses for BOTOX that are safe, which you may also explore and ask about during your consultation.
Who will be injecting me?
Dr. Turbeville provides injections as well as our team of certified nurse injectors that are rigorously trained to provide you with the best results. Overseen by Amanda Turbeville M.D., our certified nurse injectors go through advanced trainings twice a year and follow strict adherence to regulations and safety procedures.
Will it be noticeable?
No. With proper technique applied by certified injectors, BOTOX creates a very subtle effect and will not cause you to look abnormal. You will notice a decrease in the lines in the treated area, and movement of the muscles will be more restricted (in order to achieve this result), but you will not look as if you have had anything specifically altered on your face.
How much does it cost?
BOTOX treatments are priced per unit, which is the industry-standard for fair and honest pricing. During your consultation, we will discuss your desired results and make a recommendation for the number of units you will need (with pricing) before the treatment is performed. You may also suggest a comfortable budget for your treatment, and we will be able to recommend what areas may be treated within those parameters.
In order to minimize the risk of possible side effects and complications of injections please follow these simple steps:
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your Dermal Filler and Botox appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation. Results from the Dermal Filler and Botox injections will take approximately 4 to 7 days to appear. Also bruising and swelling may be apparent in that time period. Sculptra does take longer to see results so plan accordingly with your provider.
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Request Your Appointment
Before and After
- Do NOT manipulate the treated area for 3 hours following treatment. Do NOT receive facial/ laser treatments or microdermabrasion after Botox injections for at least 10 days. Ask your provider if you are not sure about the time frame of certain services.
- Some providers believe that smiling and frowning right after Botox treatments helps the Botox find its way to the muscle into which it was injected after treated.
- Do NOT lie down for 4 hours after your Botox treatment. This will prevent the Botox from tracking into the orbit of your eye and causing drooping eyelid.
- It can take approximately 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. If the desired result is not seen after 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional Botox. You are charged for the amount of product used. Therefore, you will be charged for a product used during any touch-up or subsequent appointments.
- Do NOT perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment. This will keep the Botox in the injected area and not elsewhere.
*Individual results may vary. Patient testimonials are provided as examples of some patients results and experience, however, all patients are unique and these examples are not meant to present or to imply that any one patient’s results can be expected by another patient.
You may also wish to check out Juvderm XC products as an alternative for treating severe-to-moderate wrinkles and frown lines.